There are many factors that contribute to how your website or a page on your website shows up on a search result. We have been helping people for years on programming their websites to show up where they want them to. We’ve helped determine what the keywords are and should be to get the most traffic to their site. One of the most important keys to success is figuring out what your keywords “Should BE”.
Here is the list of our top 10 SEO ranking factors:
- Keywords in Title: Make sure to have your Keywords in your Title Tag for each page on your website. This is probably the most important item that contribute to a high ranking page. Know what the keywords are for each page and make sure they are in the title tag.
- Keywords in Description: Make sure you have Keywords in your Description Tag. This is another very important part of your page ranking. This is what people see in the search result. Be very selective about the first sentence of the description tag because it was show on the Google Search Result page. If there’s a call to action or a phone number in the first sentence of the description tag, people may contact you directly off the search result without even going to your website. This is good!
- Content: Content is King. You’ve heard this before. The choice of words on the page is very important. Make sure your paragraphs are written in plain English, easy to read and uses all the targeted keywords for the page naturally. While it’s OK to have a LOT of content, the minimum should be 3-4 paragraphy with a bold heading at the beginning of each paragraph so people can browse the page quickly and focus in on the content they are reading about.
- URL Page Structure: Webpages that use keywords in their URL have a better chance of ranking better in the search engines. This is an intentional choice that is made at the time a website is built. Extra effort should be taken to make sure that each page has a unique URL that includes words associated with the content on the webpage.
- Age of Domain: The longer a website has been up, the better your ranking. A domain name that was registered 10 years ago, will do better (all else being equal) than a domain name that is 1 year old. While it is possible to get a new website to the top of the search engines, it requires that all the other ranking factors are addressed properly.
- Domain Hosting: If your website is hosted at a server farm on Godaddy, it will not do as well as a server host that has other websites in your area. Get a static IP if possible. Does Hosting affect SEO?
- Internal Link Structure: It’s good to link pages within your website to other pages on your website. When you have information on another page that is useful to the current page, link to us. Make the link visible and helpful to the reader. The search engines will reward you for doing this.
- Keywords: Make sure your website is optimized using your keywords. If you don’t know what your keywords should be, then use Google “Free” Keyword Search Tool”. Google Keyword Search Tool to find it. This will help you determine what people are actually search for. You may add new and different keywords on each page that you hadn’t thought about. The more keyword rich your content is, the better ranking on more keywords you’ll get.
- Update Content Regularly:I think this is one of the most overlooked ranking factors. When the search engines visit your website, they are looking for if you’ve made changes. When you have, they give you a ranking boost because you have “New” information and the search engines like that. New information contributes to better SEO rankings.
- Inbound and Outbound links: My favorite mantra is “Link Popularity and Relevance”. Good Content addresses the Relevance ranking factor; having lots of good “Quality” links is the Popularity factor. Make sure the websites that you link to and from are 100% relevant to your business and industry. A quality link is a link that has a keyword in the text of the link and links to a page that is about the same topic as the page it is linked from.